Are You Looking For An Affordable Transmission Shop?
Our Transmission Repair Services
Your car’s transmission is one of the vital systems in your car. Without it, the engine could not deliver power to the wheels, and your car wouldn’t be able to take you where you want to go. However, it is an often overlooked system. While experts recommend to have the transmission serviced for every 50,000 miles covered, a lot of drivers neglect this step and only take notice once there is already a severe transmission problem. By then, it may be too late.
At Mike’s Tech Transmission, we believe that prevention is much less costly than repairs and replacement; thus, through this post, we will provide some important information that will help you understand your car’s transmission, its parts, and its functions so you can better appreciate its value, and what it does for your car.
Parts of a Transmission System
Following are the major parts of a car’s transmission system and how each one works:
- Fluid – Whether your car has an automatic or manual transmission, it needs fluid to function optimally. Without fluid, the entire transmission system will stop, and as a result, your car will not run properly.
- Filter – A car transmission has a filter installed to keep the fluid clean. It likewise helps ensure the smooth shifting of gears. Gears – The car’s transmission has a number of gears inside that are regularly shifting, even if your transmission is an automatic type. Gears are grouped into two, the planetary and main gears, all of which are required for smooth driving.
- Bell Housing – The bell housing is in place to protect the transmission’s internal components, including the torque converter and flywheel. A bell housings is directly bolted on the engine block. It can be positioned in different areas in the car, depending on whether your car is 4-wheel, rear wheel, or front wheel driven.
Importance of Regular Transmission MaintenanceTransmission repair experts in Phoenix, AZ like Mike’s Tech Transmission advise car owners not to ignore the transmission system and allow it to deteriorate. It is important to pay attention to it, especially if it is acting up. For one, transmission replacement or repair can be quite expensive. With regular maintenance, you can help significantly extend the useful life of the transmission system, saving you a lot of money in the process.
Basic Transmission TroubleshootingIf you notice that your transmission is not running as smoothly as it should, you can troubleshoot first by checking the fluid levels. A single check may not be very accurate; thus, you have to do it several times. If the fluid level is lower than normal, the culprit may be a slow leak. If there is a slow leak, potential damage to the transmission can be severe, particularly when the fluid drops to a level that may cause excessive wear. On the other hand, a fast leak will easily get noticed, so you will be forced to immediately remedy the situation..
Comprehensive Transmission or Drive Train Problem Analysis
At Mike’s Tech Transmission we offer comprehensive problem analysis of your transmission or drive train. The service covers the following:
- Fluid Levels – The transmission fluid level is critical to the life of the system. It acts as the coolant, lubricant, as well as hydraulic fluid. It must remain odorless, clear in color, and free from debris and other particles.
- Road Test – While conducting a road test of your car, we will check for variances in gear selection operating ranges, slipping, and shifting sequences, among others. It is recommended that you accompany our technician/driver during the road test so he can explain the proceedings.
- Engine Operation – We will check the engine for problems that may be related to your transmission. If the engine is not running smoothly, transmission efficiency will definitely be affected. Our technician will be able to identify the problem, whether it is related to the engine or the transmission.
- CV Joints, Boots, Axles, etc. – A malfunctioning universal creates unwanted noise and makes the car shake, although it can be easily replaced, and it is just a minor part. On the other hand, while boots and CV joints may be a bit more expensive to replace, they will produce the same adverse effects.
- Engine and Transmission Mounts – When poorly mounted, the transmission and engine will operate under power, and will negatively affect the transmission’s shifting sequences.
- Leaks and Seeps – These may be due to loose connections or bad seals, and may cause considerable fluid loss. These are typically easy to repair; however, if neglected, the vehicle’s smooth operation may suffer.
- Undercarriage and Drive Shaft – These are mechanical parts that when malfunctioning, can lead to problems that may seem like transmission-related. However, the cause is usually another car component or system.
- Transmission Linkage Checks – Proper shifting can also be caused by damaged and worn parts. Computer and sequence processing may also be affected.
- Cooling System Operation – The cooling system is responsible for keeping your car engine’s temperature within normal operational range. However, the operating temperature of the transmission cannot be monitored through the instrument panel. Your transmission may be completely damaged once it overheats. We will check and make sure that it does not overheat; other peripheral areas like the power steering and brake cylinders will also be checked for leaks.
- Differential Operation – Leaks and bearing or gear noise are sure signs of car trouble. We will check for any unusual noise, and fix the cause of the problems before the damage gets worse.
- Transmission Pan – The transmission pan will be dropped to check and make sure that there are no excess metals in the filter or in the pan itself. Any broken metal part found in the pan will trigger further checks into the transmission’s internal parts. Larger metal parts come from damaged transmission parts. The problem will get worse, and cause more damage to the interiors. Once this happens, required repairs would be more extensive, and therefore more expensive.
Check Out These Additional Resources:
- Avoid Costly Transmission Repairs
- Diagnosing Transmission Problems Effectively
- Standard Transmission Repairs
- Automatic Transmission Repairs
- Driveline Repair
- Transmission Repair Cost Guide
- Repairing Vs. Rebuilding Your Transmission
We Service All Makes & Models:
Why Choose Mike's Tech Transmission
We have been in the business of transmission repair and maintenance for more than 15 years. We guarantee that you will save money with the proper assessment of the current state of your transmission. If you cannot drive your car to our shop, and it needs major repairs, we will tow it for free. You can easily set up an appointment with just a phone call. You can likewise request to have your car picked up. Whatever, your car’s transmission problem may be, we will fix it in a professional and effective manner.